Wednesday 9 June 2021

Changing Fruit Bushes and the Wildflower Hedge

Like so many other gardens mine is constantly changing and evolving - sometimes I have regretted putting in a particular planting scheme, or choosing a certain plant, or I have just felt like having something completely different.

In the fruit cage I have become very disheartened with my two honeyberry bushes.  Ever since I planted them (about five years ago) they have never produced much fruit and yet have put on a lot of growth.  I have pruned them, fed them and given them everything they could possibly need but to no avail - they have remained virtually fruitless.  So the other week I decided to replace them with two different types of fruit bushes.  After some online research I chose Gojiberry synthia and the Chilean guava Ka Pow (both purchased on line) - I thought these were an unusual addition in the fruit cage.

The honeyberry shrubs looked very boring so up they came.






















After digging up each bush,























I dug out roughly half the soil from the planting hole and replaced it with a mixture of my home made garden compost, pelleted chicken manure and fish blood and bone, and mixed thoroughly with a spade.























I then planted the two Gojiberries close together in the middle of the bed. 












Then in the second bed, the Chilean guava.












Lastly I gave them a jolly good watering.  I am hoping that these will romp away and be more productive than their predecessors.

----

The wildflower hedge is putting on a colourful display –












the cerise pink flowers of red campion,













the dainty forget me not,












the ox eye daisy,











I am not sure what this is I think comfrey, it is pretty but if it is comfrey I will have to keep it in check otherwise it will take over the whole area,












and this beautifully frothy cow parsley.























Also in flower is the hawthorne, I am lucky enough to have the pink variety.  I think this goes very well with the red campion.












In early spring I sowed yellow rattle and am now waiting to see if anything comes up.  I shall write about this wildflower hedge in a future entry.

Till next time.

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment